A simple but powerful approach to accelerate every child’s learning
Underlying Springboard Collaborative’s best-in-class literacy outcomes is FELA or the Family Educator Learning Accelerator, an approach for engaging every family in their child’s education. Families and educators come together to provide targeted instruction for children who might need an extra boost. Try this approach anywhere!
How does the approach work?
Small wins lead to big wins
Every 5-10 week FELA has a beginning, middle, and end with clear, actionable next steps for the family educator team. Each FELA has these essential components:
Form a team, set a goal, make a plan.
Practice time with the teacher. Practice time with the family coach. Practice time at home, independently.
What do you need?
You’ll need a teacher or educator, a family member, and a student.
Want to learn more?
How will it benefit my school(s)?
Create a culture of parent-teacher collaboration and consistent growth
- Invite families into their children’s learning process, increasing visibility into their child’s progress
- Build the capacity of families as at-home coaches and educators to work in partnership
- Reinforce the role of each partner’s efforts in maximizing growth for each child
- Increase family engagement, including increased learning about students’ strengths and needs for each educator
When families are aware of the important role they play as the at-home coach, there is mutual accountability. Learning and community connections deepen.
How will it benefit my family?
Reinforce a culture of learning at home
- Increase your child’s motivation for learning and attitude about schooling
- Accelerate reading growth and overall achievement for your child
- Develop your child’s self-esteem and growth mindset
- Build the capacity of educators as they learn about YOUR child from your perspective
Your child will know their goal, receive coaching sessions, and celebrate their hard work with others. These FELA experiences will cultivate new, life-long habits – for you and your child.
“I love Springboard because it brought me closer to my kids. We would have something to look forward to because reading was our thing to do as a mom and kid together every night.”
“I like being able to invite parents to my classroom and sharing a reading strategy that they can implement immediately with their scholar. I can see the positive impact that this has on families and I know that parents appreciate this opportunity.”
New York City, NY
“One of the best things that happened to me was watching children begin to change their voices when they came to different punctuation marks. Then at our celebration several parents thanked me for all my help and said they noticed how their child understood what punctuation marks mean in a sentence. It was very rewarding to know students are using what they learn in Springboard at home.”